We are called by God to love those who have been displaced from their homes and provide them with practical care. Deuteronomy 10:17-19 says “For the Lord your God is the God of gods and the Lord of lords, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God who does not show partiality, nor take a bribe. He executes justice for the orphan and the widow, and shows His love for the stranger by giving him food and clothing. So show love for the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.”
At our place
You can join Our Refugee Response through getting involved with our partner organisation, the Sydney Refugee Team. You can train to be part of their team of visitors.
At your place
Your church can join Our Refugee Response too, through:
- Rice & oil drive – Your church can collect rice and oil for delivery to Jericho Road, which enables us to provide around 80 families with these staples
- Community Chaplain support – Your church can financially support the position of Jericho Road Community Chaplain to refugees
- At the Innkeepers – Your church can encourage young people to support young refugees through our At the Innkeepers work, which raises funds to support young refugees to attend a weekend away for fellowship and to hear about Jesus. See attheinnkeepers.org.au for more information.
- Writing – Your church could support local refugees with paperwork and form filling
- ESL – Your church could run an English as a second language program
- Visiting – Your church could put together a team of visitors for a detention centre near you
- Hospitality – Your church could invite refugees in your local area for a meal and get to know them
- Access – Your church could run an easy English church service or bible study or particular ethnic group service
To join Our Refugee Response, simply call Liz on 0427 421 467 or email email@example.com