The work of Allowah sits on a firm foundation. The value of human life. We think that human life matters. That directs much of what we do and how we do it. Allowah aims to provide exceptional healthcare that promotes the wellbeing of every child in our care. This takes work. We put the work in because what we do really matters. Human life, every human life, is immensely valuable.
We believe that life is from God, he created all things. Psalm 139:13-16 says, ‘For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be’. God created the world and he created every single person. He is the giver of life. That fact, in and of itself, means that human life is valuable.
God doesn’t just create life and leave it be. He is intimately involved in the life of everything he makes. He alone perfectly loves that which he has made. In Matthew 10:29-31, Jesus speaks about the value of a human life. He says, ‘Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows’.
Jesus calls the God of the universe—the One who controls every atom and upholds the galaxies—Father. And, as the Father, he cares for all. He even cares for sparrows! He knows every feather on a tiny sparrow. And, he knows every hair on your head. He knows because he cares.
Made to Care
God is the only Creator—but he has given humans a special job within creation. God desires humans, made in his likeness, to care for the world and each other as he does. Genesis 1:26 tells us that God created humans to ‘rule’ with him. We are created to care for the life God makes. This includes human life. As creatures made to be like the One who created us, we are made to protect and care. Life is a gift, and God has charged humanity to care for it.
How Do We Show This?
This is the worldview Allowah is built on. So, how do we demonstrate our value for human life?
- Every child at Allowah is known and loved as an individual. They are valued as a person with unique needs and desires.
- Staff members, from administration staff to healthcare professionals, are expected to show children in our care the utmost of respect. Everyone is treated with dignity.
- Our hospital is maintained at a high standard. Our spaces and equipment are high quality because we take the responsibility of care seriously.
- Our team are highly qualified and experts in their fields. We make sure that we can provide the best possible care.
- Families are cared for. We seek to understand the unique circumstances of every family and work in a way which best serves them. This family-centred approach maximises quality of life.
- Every aspect of a child’s life is considered. From education and family to personality and history—we want to know our children so that we best care for them.
Life is a precious gift. None of us are self-sustaining. All creation relies on God. And, he is good. He cares. It is on that bedrock that Allowah is built. We seek to provide the best possible care because we think that human life is valuable.