As the rain has fallen across parts of New South Wales in the last few days we have given thanks to God! He is faithful and merciful, and He is sovereign.
While the rain came with some lightening which created some new fires, it was slow and long enough in many areas to ease conditions on fire grounds. It has made accessing some fire grounds more difficult for our fire fighters, and it has also made their overall task a little easier. Please continue to pray for rain – good, steady, lightening-free rain – across the fire grounds and across the State. Pray that God would continue to have mercy and break the current drought.
As you start this week, please pray with us:
- Thank God for the rain
- Praise God that the lightening that accompanied the rain did not start fires that have not been able to be contained
- Ask God to send more, drought breaking, steady, soaking rain across our country
- Pray for those who have lost loved ones, that they would be comforted in their grief and that they would not be alone as they grieve
- Pray for the 500 or more families who have lost homes this bush fire season, that they would find the strength to get through the difficult days ahead as they deal with insurance companies and banks and government agencies and just the day to day complications of having lost so much
- Pray for those who have been injured, that they would recover well
- Pray for those in the RFS, Fire & Rescue, Ambulance NSW, the SES , National Parks staff and other emergency services on the fire grounds, that God would keep them safe and that they would have time for rest
- Thank God for our emergency services and for the teams of people who support them and lead them
- Pray for those who bear the burden of leadership and decision making, where those decisions could result in saving or losing lives, that they would have time for rest and that God would give them wisdom and sustain them
- Pray for the elderly, the children and the vulnerable who may be facing extra challenges and fear, that they would be well supported and cared for
- Pray that God’s people can be there in these situations to show His love
Thank God that He is sovereign, ever-present, knows our needs and hears our prayers.
PS 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
Sign up for our prayer letter
If you would like to continue in prayer with us please sign up to the Jericho Road Prayer Letter here.
Bush Fire Appeal
We are so thankful for the donations to this appeal. It has allowed Jericho Road to send funds direct to local Presbyterian Churches for immediate distribution to those affected by the fires. So far, the funds have been used to help families in Bobin, Mooral Creek, Nowendoc, Upper Landsdowne and the Nambucca River area. It has been used to purchase what each individual family needs – a gas cooker, 12000L of water for drinking water supply, a generator, a shade shelter – and is often used by the locals not only by themselves but by their neighbours.
We are hoping to raise further funds to continue our support over the coming months, and in the short term to assist 11 families in the Kempsey area. The tiny towns of Willawarrin and Bellbrook have lost their schools and the children will be relocated to Aldavilla for the time being. Through our SRE teacher there we are hoping to be able to provide funds to each of the six families who lost their homes and the five whose homes are so damaged that they can’t return at present.
If you would like to partner with us to enable us to provide funds to local congregations for distribution to those in need you can donate here.
Please let members of your congregation know how to sign up for the prayer letter or how to donate to the appeal.
Thank you for your partnership in showing God’s love to those in need.
Chief Executive Officer